17 May 2015

Nine Questions with The Citradels


Nine Questions is a regular feature on the Active Listener, where we ask our favourite artists nine simple questions and get all sorts of answers....

Today.... The Citradels.


What was the first record you bought?
The first record I bought as in vinyl would have to be Rubber soul by The Beatles. I hadn't really listened to any of this album before I bought it. I was just starting to get into music and I knew who they were and just bought the cheapest vinyl. Ended up being my favorite album (still is) and I played it every single day I got home from school for about a month. First cd was Best of The Yardbirds with Eric Clapton.

What was the last record you bought?
The last records I bought were Doug Tuttle's debut album and Kaleidoscope's (uk) 2nd album Faintly Blowing. I bought those online so i'm yet to get them but I love Doug Tuttle's album and I'm yet to hear Kaleidoscopes album. Although I can find it online I like to leave some records so that when I get the vinyl and so when I put it on for the first time I can take it in as a whole. Also a dear friend of mine bought me The Jesus and Mary Chain box set for recording him.

What's one thing about you that very few people know?
I don't really rate Pink Floyd. I mean Syd's era is cool but never understood much more then Piper. (However most members who have been/are in the band dig them)

If you could record with any one artist who would it be and why?
I think if us, as a band, could record with anyone we would choose John Cale. The Velvet Underground is consonantly influencing our work and I love his whole history, like where he came from and all the albums after the velvet's he has worked on and made. I mean he has been involved in so many great records that he would defiantly make it a special experience. Hopefully one day. Also Spectrum would be great.

Who should we be listening to right now?
Zig Zag are a new band, which are really interesting. They only have one ep but its fucking killer. The Grease Arrestor's new album is still something I listen to. I've had that for a while but still love it and listen to it all the time. Also a lot of Jesus and Mary Chain.

Vinyl, CD or digital?
As a band we believe if we don’t pay to make it your should have to pay to listen to it. I mean we do it because its what we love, so digital is perfect for that. But vinyl just sounds so much better and we we released out last album on vinyl it felt real to me. I mean we work hard on all our release the vinyl just belittles cds.

Tell us about your latest release.
Nepenthe was our 4th album, which we self released on vinyl came out late last year. We recorded it at Curt's parents house out in the country. We pretty much worked 16 Hours a day for 5 days straight to get it done. It was a struggle but we made it work.

What's next for you, musically?
Our next album "A Night of Contemporay Feedback Music" will be out by the time you read this. We have been working on "A Night of Contemporay Feedback Music" in the background for the last year but it is finally feeling done. It's quiet, conceptual and is extremely different from any other of our albums. If we have any loyal fans i'm pretty sure they may not be fans after this, its not bad, just different. I still love it and I've been listening to the songs for about a year. We have also been rehearsing heaps so that in late march we can record or 6th album. We are going to record it over the space of a week in a old butter factory in country victoria. So I'm really looking forward to getting back into doing a band sort of album, because ANCFM is something that has been slowly put together for about a year in the background while we did other things. The 6th album is something special, I think I say that every time but the songs have been fully shaped as a band and we have been rehearsing them so much more then we have done for any other album. Also the space looks dark and dull it's just a few huge rooms, so large natural reverb, sleeping on the dirty floor and chickpea's from a can for dinner. It's going to be a real experience, Captain Beefheart style.

What's for dinner?
Chilli con carne.

God Bless.

http://thecitradels.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/TheCitradels?fref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment