30 Jan 2013

Ian Skelly "Cut From a Star" Review


Reviewed By Chris Sherman

When Nathan asked me if I wanted to write a review for Ian Skelly’s "Cut From A Star", I jumped at the chance, as this is an album I had been meaning to check out.
I was surely not disappointed.
The LP opens with the title track and its staccato keyboard riff straight out of a lost 1968 baroque pop record;  it just keeps getting better along the way.  Symphonic flourishes blanket the atmospheric vibes of the songs, with mellotrons adding that early Moody Blues feel to the proceedings.  “Nickel and Dime” exudes a "Forever Changes" feel (speaking of Love, Ian’s voice for me is an amalgam of Arthur Lee and Ian Brown), while “D.N.A.” has lovely female backing vocals that rival anything mid-period Floyd did.  '
The personal highlight for me is “Paper Sky”, with a gently strummed guitar lulling you away, building on the sensation with an acoustic and bass working their way into the magic, proceeded by ‘tron flutes and more female vocals.  I must have had that on repeat for six or seven consecutive listens before I could move any further.
For these sessions, virtually all of the instruments were played by Ian himself, and he not only displays his musical virtuosity, but makes this album feel like a full band. 
An amazing record, particularly for those looking to step into a time machine and take it back to the heyday of breezy psych pop. 
Highly recommended!

"Cut From A Star" is available here on CD or here on Vinyl with a free copy of the CD.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment